Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How do you get there from here?

So, you want to be a professional photographer? You really like photography. You've taken some pictures and people have been impressed. You are starting to think that maybe this is something that you would like to do as a job...

So, how exactly do you get from here (hobbyist or enthusiast) to there (totally rockin pro photographer)? This is a question that I have been thinking about a lot lately since I am in the process of starting my own photography business, so I thought that as part of my blog I will write some educational posts about what I have learned along the way to help out others who may be going through the same things.

Over the next weeks and months I will write notes on some of the following topics (probably not in this order):

What to think about when you think you want to go pro
Research and Planning
Branding and why you need to do it
Defining what makes you special - or why people should pick you
What skills you need to know now
Everyone's favorite - Gear, what you need, what you probably just want
Building your portfolio
Getting yourself out there
Running the Numbers and Making it Legal
Setting your prices (we already touched on this one)
Websites, marketing materials, and samples
Workflow and filing systems
New technologies and web optimization
Choosing Labs and Album Companies
"Me" time and managing stress
Setting and achieving realistic goals
Be a problem solver, not part of the problem
Giving yourself permission
Letting go of wanting to do it all

There will also probably be more things as I run into them, but that is a taste of things to come...

No comments: