Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to make your own Twitter background

I hope that you all are having a great week so far. Since I was sharing MY new Twitter background for Picture Monday I thought I would share how you can make your own personalized Twitter back ground too.

Open a new document and make the canvas 1675 pixels x1200 pixels @ 72 dpi. (You may need to play around with this a bit to make it look right, but I found that 1675 fits my monitor without any black space at the edges. My monitor actually cuts off the bottom of my background, but since some people are still rocking the older square monitors vs. the wide screen ones I kept the height at 1200 pixels just in case)

You need to leave a margin of about 225 pixels at the left side of your document so that you don't put content behind where your Tweet stream will show up. I found this to be just under 3 inches at 72 dpi.

Go to town! I can't tell you what to put on your background but be creative, think of who you are trying to appeal to, be consistent with your brand image and give it a go.

If you want a little extra help this article from mashable is a good starting place so check it out here.

I'd love feedback on how my background looks on other people's screens and I would also love to see your backgrounds so send me a link in the comments. Have a great day!

No comments: