Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Word for the Coming Year

I ran across this article in which Alison Magda talks about how she likes to pick a word each year that she would like to work on incorporating into her life and her photography business in the coming year. The word she chose for the upcoming year is "Authenticity". I like that choice. Especially when you are building a brand based on who you are as a person and a photographer authenticity is important.


I have never been a big fan of New Year's resolutions that always tend to be way to general (I promise to eat better. Better what? Kobe beef? Really good chocolate? Far too many ways to twist that to my will.) or way too specific (I resolve to do yoga everyday - Yeah, right). Because of my inability to actually follow through on the details of a specific resolution I like the idea of a concept to follow for the coming year. I feel like this gives you more freedom and less stress while still working towards an admirable goal. I like knowing what I need to do and having a deadline but being able to work on it in my own way and on my own time. That is why this is so perfect for me.


So, now that I am excited about it I need to come up with my word. Obviously, as great a word as "Authenticity" is, I can't use that one because that would make me an uncreative copy cat. A few words pop to mind. I think I will run them down and think on them for a while before I decide...


First - "Balance". This is a big one for me juggling two jobs, a board position, household duties, and (in theory) a personal life. This past year has been pretty skewed and it would be nice to shift the balance back away from the red zone.


Next - "Details". I really do feel like it is the attention to detail that sets people apart from their competitors. While I have spent a lot of effort trying to personalize the Client experience in 2009 there are so many more great ideas that I have for 2010.


"Simplicity" I like this for a lot of reasons. I think that the concept of simplicity can also encompass efficiency and order - which are things that I like. Simplicity also makes me think good, happy thoughts like relaxing, and delegating.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me? (Please be kind!) Do you plan on doing something similar in the coming year?

I hope that you all have a Merry Christmas!

No comments: