Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day 2009

The past few weeks have been incredibly busy for me (but busy is good!) and I have been having such a great time with all of the events that I have been involved with. I am so blessed to have met and become involved with so many wonderful people and causes over the past few years.
Monday so saw the photos from the Junior League of Moore County's annual wine tasting fundraiser at Elliot's on Linden - if you didn't go scroll back and check them out. As always, Elliot's did such a great job of hosting the event. The venue is great, the food is always amazing - that salmon mousse! - and there is always so much to do and see at the event. This year I donated two packages to the silent auction to help raise money for the projects of the JLMC (such as Academy for Success and the Sandhills CC scholarship) and I ended up giving away a third package as well at the event. I am excited to get to photograph all of my winners so congrats to Alison and Jason, Ava Pszenny, and Marc and Shanna. I look forward to seeing you all soon.
At the end of last month I attended and helped photograph an event for Mira USA, which is a fledgling organization here in America that is working to provide seeing eye dogs to blind children. The foundation began in Canada, but after a local man, Robert Baillie, suddenly and unexpectedly went blind as a result of surgical complications and was helped by Mira he decided to try to launch Mira Foundation USA, Inc. The event, held at the Fair Barn in Pinehurst, was to raise awareness about Mira's mission and help raise funds. Everyone involved, myself included, donated their time and services to help out this great organization, but I was most impressed by the local Outback restaurant's contribution. Not only did they donate all of the food for 250 people (and we are talking steak, chicken, the whole nine - all of which was great) every single one of the servers there had volunteered to work the event for no pay on their days off. It is really great to see so many people in the community rallying around a good cause.
As I am pretty sure you have all noticed by now, today is Veteran's Day. I feel pretty strongly about supporting the men and women in our military who all sacrifice so much for all of us, so today I am shooting at an event put on by the Savannah Wedding Tourism Council called Weddings for Warriors. The event is providing 40 free weddings to active duty service personnel. Each couple gets their own private ceremony, flowers, and photography along with a group reception following the ceremonies and a river cruise. I am really excited to be a part of this event today and I will be sure to follow up with some photos and let everyone know how it goes. I am hoping that what's left of the hurricane will blow over before the ceremonies start. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I hope that everyone has a great Wednesday.

No comments: