Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wednesday What's Up

Yes, you would be correct in assuming that I still have not thought of a proper name for this segment of the blog. I am open to suggestions, please leave me ideas in the comments!

I was planning to write this post last night after crossfit but the workout was so horrid that I just couldn't do it and pay the bills all last night. The bills won.

It's been a busy week for me with Halloween last weekend and lots coming up this week. Tommorrow is the JLMC's annual wine tasting fundraiser and Sandhillsdig.com has been kind enough to do a little article about it here. From what I understand they will also be attending the fundraiser and giving us a review so keep a look out for that. If you haven't heard of Sandhillsdig.com they are a new site dedicated to the best people, places, and things in the Sandhills area of North Carolina. Please go over there and check out the site.

Also, if you are in the Sandhills and are planning to attend the JLMC fundraiser at Elliots on Linden I am donating 2 packages for the silent auction. One package is a 60 minute family shoot with a 10 image photo book ($300 value), and the other is a 90 minute engagement / anniversary session with a 16x20 float wrap ($300 value). All of the money goes to benefit the JLMC's cause "supporting young women at risk. I will keep you posted on the winetasting and post some pictures from the event next week.

Another thing that I did this week was attend the Digital Wake Up Call tour put on by David Ziser of Digitalprotalk.com. I went up early and helped with the set-up of the program and let me tell you David and LaDawn are the nicest people and the tour was very well organized. LaDawn manages to be both very friendly and sweet while at the same time being in control of the situation and getting everything done which I think is such a great combination to see. Very graceful under pressure.

The seminar was great (about 4.5 hours) and you walked away with lots of great information as well as some nice freebies and discounts from the vendors and tour sponsors. Over the course of the 60 city tour they are giving away $250,000 in door prizes. Not too shabby.

My favorite part of the seminar is when he gets to talking about the business part of running a photography studio. Something he said really stuck with me. He said, "I don't make money taking photos, I make money selling photos." A lot of creative people don't really like business and don't really like selling, but no matter how good a photographer you are, you won't make it very long if you aren't selling your products. I also really liked getting to see samples of some of the promotional materials that are used in his studio just to get ideas. I really like his blog and I already use quite a few of his business practice suggestions. What's more the seminar was only $59. Seriously, you get way more than that for your money so if the tour is coming near you in the last few cities be sure to go. You can view the tour schedule here.

A few images from the night (Yes, I did use my point and shoot on the high ISO setting which is why they are so noisy, but the best camera is the one you have with you right):

David demonstrated exactly what equipment he uses and his lighting techniques for both on and off camera lighting.


David gave a pretty good performance. He has quite a sense of humor and is really involved in his presentations.

And a picture of me with the man himself (Big thanks to LaDawn for taking the photo and I apologize for my point and shoot) I had a great time with a great group of people and look forward to doing something like it again soon.
That's what I have been up to this past week and lots more in store for the coming week as well. Check back on Friday for more stuff I am loving right now. Only two more days till the weekend - hold on.

No comments: